Friday, February 24, 2012

Tremendum

The days pass by, so quickly. Just 5 days to go and the once in a lifetime experience comes.  Things are a bit set, but important stuffs must be polished first before facing the panel of PhDs. It is a dream I never dreamed of, but yes, its here, right in front of me, and it feels so damn good.

I was once a consistent representative of my intermediate school with regard to academic competitions. Every time my teachers say "Hey little boy, you will be representing our school in a certain event", I always feel the excitement of participating in these contests. My parents are very supportive, which makes me feel comfortable and optimistic, instead of being scared and think negative thoughts. Also, my only sister always tell me "You can do it, man. You're good at it. Just enjoy the moment, win or lose, okay?". But suddenly, these kind of opportunities got absent after my elementary years. Thus, these moments are nostalgic, because I wasn't able to experience these things in my high school years and also in my college years. It is indeed a deep nostalgia - the support from my parents, from my sister, from my friends, the experiences and honor of competing for your school, the awards you get, and so on. Now, these are only memories, and the frustrations after my elementary years should be buried.

Out from nowhere, a new door opened - an opportunity to carry the banner of your school, once again. Just like the old times, the initial reaction was purely excitement because I never knew that I would be able to experience the same honor I've missed several years back. It is a blessing because I never had imagined that this 3-unit subject *SP - Senior Problem (as what others call it. LOL!)* would serve as a door for new experiences. I never thought that this "burden requirement" is not really a sort of a BURDEN, rather served as a "bus ticket" heading De La Salle - Canlubang.  Man, who would have thought that an average, underground, unknown, low-profile programmer of his batch will be accepted for oral presentation in the 12th Philippine Computing Science Congress? 

After conducting series of researches about the said event, the excitement turned to a fearful mystery - a tremendum. I felt the goosebumps when I was able to see the names of the officers, organizers, and the panelists. I never thought  that many  PhD degree holders will be present in the said event, and man, not just the ones in the Philippines, but Asia *waaaaaaaaa!!*. It is scary indeed because I will be presenting my project in front of the ELITES of the industry. I'll just hope that there are no mental blackouts, and that I would be able to deliver stuffs in my slide show presentation well, so well *hahaha! LOL*. Please, please, please, pray for me guys. I need your holy intervention *LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!* :))))))))))



 SP Title:        Generating Screened Manga Sketches from Colored Photographs
 Authors:        Raphael Henry Garay and Allan Sioson 
 Field:             Digital Image Processing (Computer Vision) 
 Language:     C++ OpenCV

 Legend:  colored images = input,   black and white images = output
                (colored images are taken from the Internet)



8 comments:

  1. This post takes me back to when we were just kids who want to experience what it feels like to be in sir Allan's class... When we weren't really aiming for nothing more than just to learn the basics of Digital Image Processing... I can remember us being mistaken into thinking that the subject was gonna be filled with Photoshop tutorials as suggested by the name. XD

    Who would've thought that those hours at Xavier Hall, spent painstakingly trying to comprehend what the Fourier transform was all about would merit you an opportunity like this. =) I giggle when I recall us being so burdened at trying to calculate the sum of photographed coins.,XDXD I still can feel the struggle of trying to know the math behind the simple task of rotating an image...

    As someone who journeyed with you in this light, you know I'm not kidding when I say I never expected things to go this far - - It's awesome!

    Goodluck in presenting your study to the panel of Asians Raph!!! =] Although I don't want you to take it easy until it's already over, Know that whatever happens, you'll still be a winner! =] We are proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is indeed a great journey, Neithan. I was also "facepalmed" by the time we figured out that this elective is not about Photoshop. LOL! Nevertheless, I consider this subject as one of the greatest subject I've ever had in my 4-year stay in our school. I'll never forget all experiences and hardships we've encountered in this subject. It's a great honor for us to be part of sir Allan's class. Though this is just an "elective" subject, being a 5-month student of an outstanding young scientist awardee is a huge blessing. Most of all, being his advisee, like you, is the greatest honor I have received as an IT student.

      Thank you so much for your support, Neithan. I really, really appreciate it much. Thanks bro!

      Delete
  2. ui. Galing ah. Saludo ako saimu boss. Makagibo kaya ko ning arug kayan kalupet na SP. Tsaka na-bother ako, senior problem pala ang sp sainyo. Special Problem kasi ang meaning nyan samin, minsan dubbed as super problem. Anyway, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patty. Thanks for some Math tutorials *yeah! \m/*. Yes, some of my batchmates said that Senior Project must be changed to Senior PROBLEM. LOL! Okay, here's a sort of a reflection - in UP, SP is Special/Super Problem, while in AdNU, SP is Senior Problem. jyeah! haha! LOLS.. Anyways, thanks Patty! You've always been a good sister to me. :))

      Delete
  3. Super congratz Raph! :D Gustong gusto mo talaga SP mo kaya yan ang output plus to enter that event.. super wow.. congratz na maray and goodluck.. dae ka masyado kabahan para maenjoy mo talaga moments mo sa pagpresent kang SP mo sa mga personalities sa event na yan..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, ate Sid. Yes, I'll try my very best to put away all the nervousness I have. LOL! I'll just enjoy this once in a lifetime event. Thank you, ate Sid! :D

      Delete
  4. ika ang lupetz! nakakaara magaun ang output kang sp mo haha congratz!.. goodluck sa pag present.. itayo mo ang bandila kang mga advisee ni doc! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, nikks! :) Yeah, raise the flag, the "DIP inside flag"! LOL :D

      Delete